Welcome my blog of LOVE!



Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Area chefs remember Julia


Area chefs remember Julia http://qconline.com/archives/qco/print_display.php?id=451744


Photo: Paul Colletti / staff
Robert Lewis, `The Happy Diabetic'


"Before the trendy TV chefs hit the airwaves shouting 'garlic' and 'EVOO' and being cheered, there was Julia. Julia cooked from the heart. Her show, 'Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home,' on PBS, was inspiring.

"Julia had a way of making me feel like, 'I can do that.' She challenged you to take a risk. Julia made us realize that both butter and making mistakes were OK in moderation.

"When I was young, the first dish I ever tried to make was her Chocolate Mousse. I remember asking my mom, Charlotte, "Would you please get me some heavy cream?" We made (the dish) together. I don't remember how it tasted, but I do know we had fun!"

-- Chef Robert Lewis, "The HappyDiabetic," Happy Joe's corporate chef








"I can remeber her distinct laugh -- and her coming and doing a demo at The Culinary Institute of America and speaking about cooking only good food from the heart. She was a amazing lady from what I briefly (saw)."

-- Chef Eran Salzmann, ZBest Cafe, Sheffield,Ill. Photo: Paul Colletti / staff
Chef Eran Salzmann, owner of ZBest Cafe in Sheffield, Ill., stands with chef and culinary instructor Brad Scott at the annual Taste of Elegance pork-cooking competition July 13 at the Isle of Capri, Bettendorf. Chef Salzmann won the People's Choice award and took home grillmaster honors during the third heat of the Homegrown Iron Chef competition July 21 in Bettendorf.

"My memories of Julia are that Iwatched her on PBS, and I thought she was funny -- and that you can have fun and cook also."

-- Chef Jeff Grunder, Iowa Machine Shed, Davenport

"Three years ago, an elderly man called my office and said he and his wife were moving into an assisted-living condo and had a prized, two-book original first-edition cookbook from Julia Child and would like to donate it to the (Scott Community College culinary-arts) program. Two hours later, in walks this frail, classy old guy (who) presented me with this book. Unfortunately, it was not signed, but it is very cool!"

-- Chef BradScott, director of culinary arts at Scott Community College, Bettendorf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your comments or suggestions or any tips you may have.