Here is a simple but good recipe.
- 6 oz rice noodles
- 1 1/2 cups snow peas, ends trimmed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 piece ginger (1/2 inch thick), peeled and chopped
- 1 star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 sprigs basil
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
Boil noodles in salted water for 3 minutes.
Place snowpeas and carrots in a colander; drain noodles over them; rinse; divide among 4 bowls.
Tie a sachet of ginger, star anise and cloves in cheesecloth; place in a large pot with broth; boil 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add chicken; simmer 5 minutes.
Add bell pepper and lime juice. Season with salt. Remove sachet. Ladle into bowls; top with remaining ingredients.